Mobile-Ballwin County Chess League Action
January 17, 2017 - See news from Alabama's granddaddy of scholastic chess competitions on the Scholastic page.
Alabama Chess in Schools (ACIS): Fall 2017 Application
January 17, 2017 - The deadline for new school districts to apply join ACIS is January 31, 2017. More.
- February 11-12, 2017 - Montgomery - The XLV Annual Queen of Hearts tournament is a classic two-day tournament and a favorite for players who enjoy the longer game times of classical chess play. There are three rated sections with g/120 d5 game times, as well as as a short g/20 d5 non-rated scholastic section. Flyer
- March 11, 2017 - Madison - The Alabama State Scholastic Individual Chess Championship is the biggest chess event of the year, drawing well over 200 participants. Check back soon for a tournament flyer. Online registration will be available from this page starting in late January. Individual entry fees are $25 for registrations by February 28. All games are rated. ACF and USCF memberships are required.
- March 12, 2017 - Madison - Coaches, prepare now for the biggest team chess event of the year, the Alabama State Scholastic Team Championship. More than 50 four-player teams are expected. Check back soon for a tournament flyer. Online registration will be available from this page starting in late January. The entry fee is $50 per team if registered by March 8. USCF and ACF memberships required.
Chess Antics by Scott Varagona
December 14, 2016 - The Fall Antics magazine features three recent Alabama games including the final round battle from the state championship between Bill Melvin and Scott Varagona. Scott also offers his comments on the recent World Chess Championship.
Chess News by Michael Ciamarra
- January 15, 2017 - The Move of the Year and tournament life here and there
- December 19, 2016 - Bobby Fischer's Winning Chess Tips, Alabama tournament roundup
- December 1, 2016 - World champion Magnus Carlsen wins tiebreaks, retains world chess title
Rochelle Wu wins Gold at World Cadets International Competition
October 30, 2016 - After winning Alabama's 2016 Elementary School Champion, Rochelle Wu is making her presence known in national and international competition. After taking third in the National Girls Invitational Tournament of Champions in August (first among girls under 13), Rochelle earned a gold medal in the Girls Under 10 section this week at the World Cadets in Batumi, Georgia. Click here for a US Chess Federation newsflash and one of Rochelle's games.
Alabama State Championship Results
Open Section: Bill Melvin is the 2016 Alabama State Chess Champion.
September 8, 2016 - Huntsville - Between 1990 and 2001 Melvin was the top active player in the state, claiming the state championship title seven times, making him the current record holder for most Alabama state championships. At this year's event, fifteen years after his last state championship, Bill extended his record to eight, winning clear first with a score of 5.5/6.The final round drama featured Melvin defeating six-time champion Scott Varagona. Mathew Puckett finished second.
Reserve Section: Why is Krishin Yerabolu Smiling?
There was drama in the reserve section as well as Krishin Yerabolu ranked 28th in a field of 30, took first place with a score of 5.0/6.0 to become this year's Reserve champion. Krishin's rating rises an astounding 324 points in one tournament!