Teachers enjoy ACF-sponsored training as they prepare for last Fall's implementation of Alabama Chess in Schools (ACIS).
Chess News by Michael Ciamarra
- January 28, 2016 - Over the chess board: Local chess tournaments celebrate MLK Day
- January 14, 2016 - Faces across the chess board - New Year tournaments, top prizes and new challenge
- December 28, 2015 - Full Magic City Chess Classic results and January tournament announcements
- February 20-21, 2016 - Montgomery, AL - The 44th Annual Queen of Hearts has a long history as one of Alabama's major tournaments. Game times are a leisurely G/120 d5 for rated sections. There is also one-day non-rated quick chess section on Saturday for beginner and novice scholastic players. Flyer
- March 5, 2016 - Alabaster, AL - Thompson Intermediate School will sponsor the Alabaster Scholastic with one rated and two non-rated sections. Flyer
- March 19, 2016 - Birmingham, AL - The Alabama State Scholastic Individual Chess Championship is expected to draw nearly 200 young players from around the state. Flyer
- March 20, 2016 - Birmingham, AL - The Alabama State Scholastic Team Chess Championship is expected to draw nearly 200 young players from around the state. Flyer
2016 Championship Bid Schedule
January 18, 2016 - Tournament Organizers of ACF affiliates are invited to submit bids for these 2016 state chess championships:
- Alabama Quick & Blitz Championships to be held no later than June. Eligible site location: central Alabama.
- Bid deadline: 5:00 p.m., 1/31/2016.
- Bid Award by 2/28/2016.
- Alabama Dual Championship to be held in July or early August.Eligible site location: Montgomery and points south.
- Bid deadline: 11:59 p.m., 2/16/2016.
- Bid Award: 2/28/2016.
- Alabama State Championship to be held in September. Eligible site location: North Alabama.
- Notify ACF of intent to bid: March 1, 2016
- Bid deadline: 11:59 p.m., 4/1/2016
- Bid award: 5/1/2016
Rapid Growth of Alabama Chess Continues in 2015
January 16, 2016 - Rated chess play in Alabama grew by 12% in 2015. Gains in North Alabama, South Alabama, and Montgomery had significant gains to offset a decline in the Birmingham area, which has been the hub of past growth.
Alabama Chess in Schools
January 16, 2016 - Our groundbreaking teacher-driven Alabama Chess in Schools Initiative continues to make news. Click here for a series of exciting updates on the nation's first state-level CIS pilot program.
Latest Antics Magazine Released
December 12, 2015 - Antics Editor and 2015 state champion Scott Varagona has released the Fall Antics magazine with news and games from recent tournaments including a key win from his own championship march.
Alabama State Scholastic Chess Championship Dates Announced
December 8, 2015 - The state's biggest tournament event of the year, the Alabama State Scholastic Chess Championships. The individual championship tournament will be held Saturday, March 19, 2016. The team championship takes place the following day, Sunday, March 20. The site is the beautiful Indian Springs School in Indian Springs, Alabama just south of Birmingham. Read about changes to the tournament format on our scholastic page. Flyer
Help Wanted: ACF Webmaster
December 22, 2015 - ACF is the process of upgrading its website technical infrastructure. Most of these changes won't be noticeable but the will provide an updated set of tools and better web hosting to make the job easier for the webmaster and those who updated this site's content.
Once we have finished the current technology upgrade we would like to turn it over to a webmaster who would be willing to join the ACF volunteer team. If you have experience with website maintenance would be willing to contribute a couple of hours a month as needed, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
World Youth Chess Championship in Halkidiki, Greece
November 5, 2015 - Rochelle Wu of Birmingham, Alabama finished the 7.0/11 points placing her 15th in a field of 110 international players at the World Youth Chess Championship, Girls Under 10 section. Her victories included two wins and two draws against players holding FIDE's WCM (Womens Candidate Master) rank.
Since her third place finish in the Girls Under 8 section of last year's WYCC, Rochelle and her older brother Sijing, both with class A rankings, have played in tournaments across the Southeast US. She recently won the 2015 Women's Open sponsored by the Georgia Chess Association.
Chess Day Happenings
October 14, 2015 - There was a lot happening this past Chess Day (October 10) weekend.
- What do you get when you mix rockets, chess tournaments, and a visit by chess grandmaster? Find out in Michael Ciamarra's report on events around the state.
- Governor Robert Bentley issued a Chess Day proclamation.
- ACF applauds the efforts of the teachers of Alabama Chess in Schools of (ACIS) pilot schools who are bring chess into the classroom. Nearly all of the pilot schools have launched their planned new chess programs.
- Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Alabama awarded ACF a $2,500 grant in support of the ACIS initiative.